1. Kansas City Chiefs- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M: After trading a 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd that could become a 2 in 2014 the Chiefs invested a good amount in former 49ers QB Alex Smith. This pretty much takes them out of the running for a QB this year but now they need to build around Alex. They signed a few guys to help with that but even if they keep Brandon Albert they still need a RT for 2013. So why not take the top tackle of the draft?
2. Jacksonville Jaguars- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon: The Jaguars take the best defensive end on the board at the second pick to help bolster new Head Coach Gus Bradley’s defense. Jordan is a highly regarded prospect despite an injury that only allowed him to run a 40 at the combine. But his game tape is good enough that everyone overlooked it.
3. Oakland Raiders- Sharrif Floyd, DE, Florida- The Raiders need help on the line with Richard Seymour a free agent and Desmond Bryant already gone in Free Agency. So they take Floyd who is the second best DE on the board. This will be a great pick for Oakland if it happens.
4. Philadelphia Eagles- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia- This will be the shocker of the top part of the draft to some. The Eagles have Vick and Foles but I think Geno Smith will be the guy Chip Kelly wants to groom as his QB. I will even go so far as to say Vick or Foles will be a end of camp cut so they can have both Smith and Dixon on the roster.
5. Detroit Lions- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan: The Lions decide to replace a member of their line after the retirement of Jeff Backus especially considering they need that part of their offense shored up with the signing of Reggie Bush. They jump on Fisher.
6. Cleveland Browns- Ezekial Ansah, OLB, BYU- The Browns just signed Kruger to play OLB so they decide to use the 6th pick in this draft to fill in the spot opposite Kruger in hopes that the due will terrorize QBs for the next few years.
7. Arizona Cardinals- Dee Millner, CB, Alabama- They decide to catch up with the rest of the division and load up the rest of the secondary the way SF, StL, and Seattle have by pairing Millner next to Patrick Peterson. NFC West getting stronger in 2013.
8. Buffalo Bills- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee- The Bills lost out on Geno so they decide to not reach for a QB who can easily be had in the second round. So instead they take one of the top Wideouts in this draft in Patterson.
9. New York Jets- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia- The Jets have so many holes they decide to go with improving the pass rush a second year in a row. I’d rather they trade down to get more picks because they really have the most roster holes after free agency in the league.
10. Tennessee Titans, Chance Warmack, C/G, Alabama- Having invested a top pick in Locker and some serious money in Shonn Greene and Delanie Walker they need a lineman to help make all these moves work. So they pick up the next best OLineman available.
11. San Diego Chargers- Jonathan Cooper, C/G, North Carolina- The Chargers are a bit of a mess. If they are to have any success this year they need to rebuild the offensive line to allow Philip Rivers the chance to stay alive long enough to move an offense down the field.
12. Miami Dolphins- Xavier Rhoades, CB, Florida State- Losing Sean Smith opens up a hole in CB and Rhoades happens to be a player similar to what Smith is in size so the Dolphins jump to pick up one of the better cover corners in the draft.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington- If the Bucs have this pick it’s because they didn’t trade for Darrelle Revis. If that is the case they decide to add to their already insane secondary with Trufant.
14. Carolina Panthers- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas- The Panthers decide to add to a so-so secondary by adding the best Safety in the draft in Vaccaro. This will be a slow build for the defense but hopefully not too slow so as to not waste Cam Newton.
15. New Orleans Saints- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU- The Saints add the necessary pass rushing OLB in their conversion to a 3-4 defense. Mingo was a terror in LSU and that will be needed in the QB loaded NFC South.
16. St. Louis Rams- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma- The Rams hosted Jake Long but weren’t able to sign him and they have a need at tackle. So they use the 15th pick on the Sooners Tackle to play RT on their offense for now and maybe eventually replace Roger Saffold.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia- He stole the show at the West Virginia pro day and he will replace the recently departed Mike Wallace on the Steelers offense.
18. Dallas Cowboys- DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama: The Cowboys address the offensive line finally in round 1 and take a member of the National Champion Alabama. He would be the only player in the locker room with a championship ring though.
19. New York Giants- Bjeorn Warner, DE, Florida State: The Giants lose a Defensive End they take another one with a high motor to replace him in the draft, wash, rinse, repeat.
20. Chicago Bears- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee- The Bears see their top O-Line targets taken and decide to add to the WR corps to give Jay Cutler more to throw to. So they take one of the better WRs in this deep class at the position.
21. Cincinnati Bengals- Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State: Even if they are able to retain Andre Smith they are pretty thin at Tackle so they decide to get Watson out of Florida State. This pick is almost a guarantee if Smith leaves.
22. St. Louis Rams- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia: The Rams improve the Linebacking corps with the best of this class at ILB. Ogletree next to James Laurenatis will be almost as scary a combo in the NFC West as Willis/Bowman in the coming years.
23. Minnesota Vikings- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal: This pick is used after the trade of Percy Harvin. I think he will be the best out of this class but he drops here due to injury concerns. The Vikings get an absolute steal here.
24. Indianapolis Colts- Jonathan Banks, CB, Central Mississippi: After getting burned in the post-season by the Ravens the Colts begin to shore up their secondary by adding another corner. This is a must in today’s NFL anyway.
TRADE: The 49ers package their first round pick and one of their third rounders in a trade with Minnesota to jump up to 25.
25. San Francisco 49ers(from Minn): Star Lotulelei, DT/DE, Utah- The 49ers decide to not take any chances at this point and trade up to get what will be their Ngata on the line. He will learn under some beasts on the DLine and become a force once he is playing full time. He dropped due to health concerns.
26. Green Bay Packers- Sheldon Richardson, DE, Missouri: Richardson is like Star where he will be a game changer in this draft. The Packers get him to help their run defense and try to make the Defense as a whole try to pick up the slack for the offense.
27. Houston Texans- Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU: The Texans need another ILB and also depth after what the Cushing injury did to them so they go with yet another talented LSU player who is in this draft in Kevin Minter.
28. Denver Broncos- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State: The Broncos continue to improve the defense this off-season after seeing what Baltimore did to them this year.
29. New England Patriots- Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: The Pats add another lineman on the defensive side after being flat out gashed by the Ravens in the AFC Title Game. Sensing a pattern here?
30. Atlanta Falcons- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State: After cutting John Abraham the Falcons decide to wait on a future TE to get a guy who could help as a rookie in Carradine.
31. Minnesota(from SF)- Manti T’eo, ILB, Notre Dame: The Vikings are going to need an ILB at some point so they decide to use their second pick in round 1 to get one now since they just added extra picks with the trade down.
32. Baltimore- Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M: He had a so so combine which drops him but the Ravens like the game tape they see when selecting Moore here in round 1. He will compete to replace Kruger here.