Most of the picks early on remain unchanged but as we get further down into the draft we see newer picks. I opted to do no trades for this mock though. When you are done reading this draft you should go to http://www.walterfootball.com and check out their mock and their mock draft database for all your NFL Draft needs.
1. Kansas City Chiefs- Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M: Brandon Albert just signed his tender but I still think tackle is where KC goes here be it taking Joeckel or trading down and taking one of the top two tackles. For now I have them sitting pat and taking Joeckel. But they could just as easily trade down and get a tackle too.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars- Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon: The Jaguars take the best defensive end on the board at the second pick to help bolster new Head Coach Gus Bradley’s defense. Jordan is a highly regarded prospect despite an injury that only allowed him to run a 40 at the combine. But his game tape is good enough that everyone overlooked it.
3. Oakland Raiders- Sharrif Floyd, DE, Florida- The Raiders need help on the line with Richard Seymour a free agent and Desmond Bryant already gone in Free Agency. So they take Floyd who is the second best DE on the board. This will be a great pick for Oakland if it happens.
4. Philadelphia Eagles- Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia- This will be the shocker of the top part of the draft to some. The Eagles have Vick and Foles but I think Geno Smith will be the guy Chip Kelly wants to groom as his QB. I will even go so far as to say Vick or Foles will be a end of camp cut so they can have both Smith and Dixon on the roster.
5. Detroit Lions- Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan: The Lions decide to replace a member of their line after the retirement of Jeff Backus especially considering they need that part of their offense shored up with the signing of Reggie Bush. They jump on Fisher.
6. Cleveland Browns- Ezekial Ansah, OLB, BYU- The Browns just signed Kruger to play OLB so they decide to use the 6th pick in this draft to fill in the spot opposite Kruger in hopes that the due will terrorize QBs for the next few years.
7. Arizona Cardinals- Dee Millner, CB, Alabama- They decide to catch up with the rest of the division and load up the rest of the secondary the way SF, StL, and Seattle have by pairing Millner next to Patrick Peterson. NFC West getting stronger in 2013.
8. Buffalo Bills- Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee- The Bills lost out on Geno so they decide to not reach for a QB who can easily be had in the second round. So instead they take one of the top Wideouts in this draft in Patterson.
9. New York Jets- Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia- The Jets have so many holes they decide to go with improving the pass rush a second year in a row. I’d rather they trade down to get more picks because they really have the most roster holes after free agency in the league.
10. Tennessee Titans, Chance Warmack, C/G, Alabama- Having invested a top pick in Locker and some serious money in Shonn Greene and Delanie Walker they need a lineman to help make all these moves work. So they pick up the next best OLineman available.
11. San Diego Chargers- Jonathan Cooper, C/G, North Carolina- The Chargers are a bit of a mess. If they are to have any success this year they need to rebuild the offensive line to allow Philip Rivers the chance to stay alive long enough to move an offense down the field.
12. Miami Dolphins- Xavier Rhoades, CB, Florida State- Losing Sean Smith opens up a hole in CB and Rhoades happens to be a player similar to what Smith is in size so the Dolphins jump to pick up one of the better cover corners in the draft.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington- If the Bucs have this pick it’s because they didn’t trade for Darrelle Revis. If that is the case they decide to add to their already insane secondary with Trufant.
14. Carolina Panthers- Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah- I had Star drop big time last draft. Now he is up here because he was medically cleared for his pro day and was fantastic. The only reason I don’t have him top 10 is because I am sure some teams will be put off on spending that kinda pick due to the heart condition. Carolina happily takes him.
15. New Orleans Saints- Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU- The Saints add the necessary pass rushing OLB in their conversion to a 3-4 defense. Mingo was a terror in LSU and that will be needed in the QB loaded NFC South.
16. St. Louis Rams- Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma- The Rams hosted Jake Long but weren’t able to sign him and they have a need at tackle. So they use the 15th pick on the Sooners Tackle to play RT on their offense for now and maybe eventually replace Roger Saffold.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers- Sheldon Richardson, DE, Missourri- Yes the Steelers have needs elsewhere but their D-Line is getting up there in age and they opt to get the future at DE in Richardson who is an absolute monster on the line.
18. Dallas Cowboys- DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama: The Cowboys address the offensive line finally in round 1 and take a member of the National Champion Alabama. He would be the only player in the locker room with a championship ring though.
19. New York Giants- Bjeorn Warner, DE, Florida State: The Giants lose a Defensive End they take another one with a high motor to replace him in the draft, wash, rinse, repeat.
20. Chicago Bears- Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee- The Bears see their top O-Line targets taken and decide to add to the WR corps to give Jay Cutler more to throw to. So they take one of the better WRs in this deep class at the position.
21. Cincinnati Bengals- Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State: I am not so sure Andre Smith is going to be a Bengal at this point so I feel this will be a need. With 2 picks in the second round they can easily address other concerns there. But as of right now I think they need Watson.
22. St. Louis Rams- Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia: The Rams improve the Linebacking corps with the best of this class at ILB. Ogletree next to James Laurenatis will be almost as scary a combo in the NFC West as Willis/Bowman in the coming years.
23. Minnesota Vikings- Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia: After committing to Greg Jennings for 6 years they now need to address the lack of a speedy WR in Minnesota. Tavon Austin absolutely lit it up at the West Virginia pro day and the Vikings happily give Ponder this target to throw to.
24. Indianapolis Colts- Keenan Allen, WR, Cal: Andrew Luck meet your go-to receiver for the next 10+ years. A knee injury drops Allen here but when he is on the field as an NFL receiver he will be one of the best wideouts in this class period.
25. Minnesota Vikings- Manti T’eo, ILB, Notre Dame: The Vikings need an Inside Linebacker and the catfished T’eo is the best one available at this point.
26. Green Bay Packers- Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas: After cutting Charles Woodson the Pack decide to get the top safety available in this draft and take Vaccaro.
27. Houston Texans- Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU: The Texans need another ILB and also depth after what the Cushing injury did to them so they go with yet another talented LSU player who is in this draft in Kevin Minter.
28. Denver Broncos- Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State: The Broncos continue to improve the defense this off-season after seeing what Baltimore did to them this year.
29. New England Patriots- Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina: The Pats add another lineman on the defensive side after being flat out gashed by the Ravens in the AFC Title Game. Sensing a pattern here?
30. Atlanta Falcons- Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State: After cutting John Abraham the Falcons decide to wait on a future TE to get a guy who could help as a rookie in Carradine.
31. San Francisco- Jonathan Crypen, S, Florida International: The 49ers have a huge hole at FS after losing Dashon Goldson but decide to go with more of a coverage safety in Crypen.
32. Baltimore- Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M: He had a so so combine which drops him but the Ravens like the game tape they see when selecting Moore here in round 1. He will compete to replace Kruger here.